Tuesday 30 October 2012

Harry Potter Evaluation


I think that I did a pretty good job creating a sound track for the opening of harry potter, considering this attempt would be my first go at such a task. One of my main goals, and perhaps argued that it was one of the most important goals of this task, was that I tried my best to match the sound with the video to create the correct atmosphere, this implies the maturity and professionalization which makes the two blend with each other and set off just the correct visual and auditory information, that combine to give an amazing opening. In order to do this, I had to look at what the opening itself represented, what it connoted through to the audience, and what I gathered from that was a dark- almost vicious vibe that it was sending off. Henceforth, working from that I established the sounds I was going to use, in one way or another, would imply the darkness at the beginning of the opening, where it opens with darkness and impurity. However, as the opening continues, we see that there are some transitions that occur, throughout the process of the clip there are a few transitions that dictate the light, the purity. And hence this would be set up with sound clips that implied light. Finally, towards the end of the clip we see a redeeming, last few transitions that change from the ''light'' aspect back to the original dark theme, where I would then have to closely work in order to match the perfect sound clip with those specific parts in the video, each relating to one another based off the visual theme they want the audience to catch.

I think that that the sequence of relating sound clips that i created was very effective and efficient towards the main aspect of the opening, relating to the visual clips being showed at the time. A clear example for this would be when the playground scene started, I recognized it was hinting a sense of realism, and that's the vibe it wanted to send off to the audience. To match a sound with this, I tried to use very realistic sounds that would mix with the clip, further emphasizing on the realism point in which the clip was trying to send across. another example was when the thunder started. I realized based on my knowledge that thunder in itself is not a single sound, it's a roar- an epiphany, the sound of the anger coming from the skies. I wanted to send a chilling vibe, to really emphasize how dangerous and thrilling this thunder may be, and I did this by using more than 1 thunder sound effect to make it sound really load, the sounds mixed perfectly and really brought out the realistic danger that thunder carries. When you see Harry, him being of course the main protagonist, I had figured the audience would have the most connected emotional bond with him, using this to my advantage; when you saw this clip, you'd hear a calm and sad music, with a soothing tune to set a peaceful atmosphere. This, combined with the clip showing at the time, of Harry facing against the bullies and the deatheaters, wouldn't actually go so well together but because the audience knows what he's been through, it's a perfect match as it creates a sympathetic feeling towards Harry as he soon will be attacked by the deatheaters. for this part i would give my self 7/10.

For the first time using Garageband i think i did a good job at picking the correct sounds to match the extract, if i had to do this project again i would try my best to make the soundtrack completely match the extract, so i would give my Harry Potter Sequence 5/10 as i think i could of done a much better job if i knew how to use the program fully also i never got to finish the extract.

No comments:

Post a Comment